Monday 3 February 2014

School sewing

I was never going to sew school uniforms but when I took P to buy his uniform and he tried on the pants I did my best to stifle my giggles. He wasn't meant to be going to clown school! We bought some polo shirts, the bag, school hat and then left and went straight to Spotlight.


For about the same price as two of their baggy track pants I bought some fleece for winter tracksuit pants, some navy drill for shorts and trousers and some athletic knit for sports shorts.

Then I went on a navy sewing bender in January.

You've already seen the Art Museum pants I made as part of his "good" outfit.

For another pair of long trousers I revived my pattern mash pants and made another pair with a bit extra length. Those Kenzo jeans are already looking a bit short. He's a weed I tell you!

I threw on some topstitching and so these pants have a bit more of a casual feel than the Art Museum trousers.
 

For hotter weather, and gee have we had some, there are two pairs of Sketchbook shorts.


Finally , the sporty shorts were made using the Nature Walk pattern (did you guess it would be another Oliver + S?)


If I'm ever asked to pick a favourite from the Oliver + S patterns (hint hint) this could be it. The pants are such a quick sew and have the cutest backside fit of any kids trackpants I've ever seen, while the top is much more involved and gives you that "gee I'm clever" feeling that Oliver + S is famous for. Mostly though I love this pattern for all the costumes and variations it's spawned. Seriously, from Michael Jackson, Octonauts, Pirates, Evel Knievel, Robots and Mermaids the Nature Walk has been the basis of them all. Best pattern to play with ever (Flickr search for you)

Today was his first day of Prep and he woke up super early, super excited, dressed himself and then couldn't wait to get going! He literally sang the whole bike ride to school (and back again!)

I added some cotton twill tape labels to make his pants identifiable (should any school activities involve removing, then losing them)


I thought I was superbly prepared; 4 pairs shorts, 2 pairs long pants, all sewn up and labelled. School hat and bag labelled. Lunch made. At least until I got to school and realised I forgot about his teacher interview last week. Ah well, at least I've started the school year as I shall probably continue (bad mummy)

18 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to say you forgot his lunch! That would be much worse than missing the interview (which I'm sure they can reschedule). Congratulations on your boy starting prep - R had her second day today. Her brand-new schooldress looks as though it was sewn by the work experience girl at the uniform factory - it has puckers along the zip-pocket seam, and the hem has already fallen down. I bet your clothes are WAY superior to anything you could have bought, even if the clown factor weren't an issue. The shorts and long pants look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa. I always thought your girl was a bit older. Must be all those elegant mum-made clothes of hers making her look so grown up!

      Delete
  2. All his pants/shorts look great! Yay for mommy made! It sounds like he had a terrific first day. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, he did. He declared his teacher to be the best teacher in the room!

      Delete
  3. I think it is so special he has mama made uniform clothes. I never really thought about buying the nature walk pattern but maybe I should. I have so much guilt over sewing so much more for my girl than for my boy. I am usually not very inspired to sew for him but then when I do I always think how fun it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I just love the easiness of sewing for my son. So long as it 'works' he's happy with anything. And then when I make something "extra" for him such as a stencil he's just over the moon.

      Delete
  4. Good uniform sewing - I hope he continues to love going to school.
    Our primary uniforms are ok in terms of quality - but Rosie has just started high school, and they leave an awful lot to be desired - made me feel quite sick, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. high school already. How exciting for Rosie.
      Today was the first no-school-Wednesday and he was gutted so that's good I guess!

      Delete
  5. ask and ye shall receive...i'd love to recruit you to do a favorite pattern post at O+S!!! let's talk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, that was easy. I should send you all my Film Petit ideas too then!
      Thanks, and good luck for the next few weeks, you might be busy! :)

      Delete
  6. Great uniforms! Love the labels as well- although I'm yet to find a label I didn't like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you. I really want to get some custom woven labels, but can't decide between a bicycle logo, the blog name, or just "McStitch'ed". None of those are the slightest bit useful when it comes to lost property though. the handwritten cotton twill tape will have to do for now!

      Delete
  7. Poor moms who don't sew and their kids are stuck with what's available in the shops!;)

    Looks like he is well prepared for school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably still would have walked out and sourced some well fitting navy pants elsewhere. I can be very fussy sometimes! At least the school dress code seems relaxed enough that any navy pants would do.
      Thanks Cindy, he's definitely ready for school, I hope the school is ready for him!

      Delete
  8. The Nature Walk pattern is not one that I would have considered, before seeing your version! You have a knack for making all of the oliver+s patterns look awesome! Your fabric selection is much nicer than the store-bought variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if that isn't the nicest thing to say! Thank you so much. Those patterns make themselves look good but I really appreciate the compliment!

      Delete
  9. wow, way to go! i always felt like making school uniforms pants/shorts would be too arduous. you did a great job and they look so professional! does your school year run the opposite of ours in the US (sept-may/june)? (sorry if that's a stupid question - i know more and more places are doing year round school).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is one aspect of life where we Southern Hemisphere folk have got it right. Our school year runs the SAME as the calendar year! Summer holiday from early December to late January including Christmas, new year etc, then back to school in the new year.
      I'm not so sure about Santa in his red suit on the back of a Country Fire Authority truck handing out icy poles to kids. That part of our summer may not be so authentic!

      Delete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.