Tuesday 8 October 2013

It's couture knock off time! Kenzo Kids style

I could be accused of getting carried away with "project" sewing (Exhibit A, Exhibit B) but there's a lot of fun to be had in making things just a bit more than was required....

P needed another pair of these pants:


I'd bought these from a now defunct store called Kids on Parade which sold lots of high end fashion clothes for kids. I suspect everyone else, like me, only bought anything from there when it was heavily discounted in the sales. These Kenzo Kids pants were one such bargain

They are a size 4 and have a lovely slim fit and have been P's good pants for almost two years but they're definitely now too short. I wanted to try and make my own and replicate all these little designer-y features.


I experimented with the patterns I had that seemed appropriate and came up with my Pattern Mash Prototype pants. They have proven to be a great pair of pants but were a little more of a relaxed fit than I wanted so I took half an inch of each back panel at the side seam. I also raised the back yoke seam about an inch by adding to the pants panels and subtracting from the yoke.

Then I took the scissors to the old pants and stole all those Kenzo tags (sadly not the pocket rivets as they're one use only)


Essentially I used the front of the Oliver + S Field Trip pants and the back of the After School pants, splitting the front pants to include the extra inner leg panel.

 
I bought some little pyramid rivets from Jimmy's Buttons which is also where I found this grey denim remnant. There was about a metre and a half on the roll and I paid 5 bucks for it!
 



I'm not sure what kind of modelling style we're channelling here....
So there are my Kenzo knock off pants, modelled above with (yet another) Flashback Skinny T

But I couldn't stop just with the pants. Nope, if you're going to wear Kenzo, it would seem you need to get a tiger on your sweater....


The idea of knocking off one of these sweaters with some fleecy sweater knit and fabric paint from Spotlight was just too amusing (for me at least)



I did a dry run here using the Field trip pattern again for the sweater, but decided in the end to do an upsized Flashback Skinny T. I cut a size 9/10 in width and size 5 in length. The blue striped one earlier is straight size 5 and perfect as a close fitted T-shirt using very stretchy fabric. This one could still do with more depth in the armholes and sleeve width and I should have cut the neck-hole back at the smaller size but I'm happy with it.

....if only cause it was fun to paint!



It's a long blog post, but stick around if you're curious as to how some of these things were done.....

First up, the detail on the pants pocket: I don't have a fancy sewing machine that does embroidery so there was no way of perfectly replicating the mid section of the pocket detail from the original pants.

But my sewing machine can do these stitches:


So I used the Orange A stitch for the straight lines and a couple of rows of the Blue J stitch to get the wavy midsection effect

 
And after Heidi taught me to topstitch with two threads I thought I'd try for three!  Using three lots of regular thread is STILL easier than trying to thread a needle with that thick topstitching thread! Here's another shot of how they all sat atop the machine:
 

Now to the sweater....

I downloaded the clearest and flattest picture I could find of the tiger logo and then traced it to tidy up some of the lines and make it clearer. Then from this image I traced again, using a Iron-on Transfer Pencil onto baking paper.


At this step the image needs to be in reverse. If you have a really clear image you can flip your paper over and trace it from behind. Otherwise, when printing the image you need to select T-shirt transfer paper as your printing medium and the printer will reverse the image for you. Or I guess you could reverse the image in any photo editing software before you print. Anyway, make sure it's back to front.


Put your traced picture facing down onto the fabric and iron it on. Be careful as the pencil marks do not wash off and the print is not really useful a second time over without recolouring all the lines. you can just see that I've drawn up a grid with washable pencil markings to make sure I got it straight first go.


Then you simply paint over the drawn lines. I used Setacolour brand paint as the green paint and it is lovely to work with. Two layers gave a good depth of colour with no brush marks. The orange paint however, was Jones Tones and it needs a lot more layers and then develops quite a thick plastic-ky feel and you can still see through it a bit.

 
These paints only take a few hours to be dry to touch and then you iron them (with a baking paper sheet or similar over the paint to stop it sticking to the iron) for a few minutes. Then they wash and wear really well.

So there's my Kenzo Kids knock off outfit.... As I'm posting this last picture I'm making myself laugh wondering if there's any way I can incorporate a conical Gaultier bra into a  princess dress-up costume for A...


23 comments:

  1. Good on you for having fun with your boy sewing. Great job on the trousers, they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, he's so obliging, I can play a bit with what I make.

      Delete
  2. The sweater is cute. And, THOSE PANTS! They look so fab. I love all the extra stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I should play a bit more with 'extras' I'm usually such a "less is more" kind of person

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I'm now going to ask a possibly dumb question. Do you have 3 needles? How does that work? Or am I overthinking this- are you feeding them through the same needle? Ok think I just got there....more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. Just treat all three threads as if they were one. It takes a bit of licking to get the needle threaded but the topstitching oomph factor is great. (and saves having to buy any thick topstitching thread)

      Delete
  4. I love those pants! I really like the pattern and the topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll keep this pattern mash pattern until he grows out of it. It amazes me sometimes what can work when you have a go.

      Delete
  5. Those pants are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you inspired the pocket rivets don't you?! I've loved your pants details and am following in your footsteps!

      Delete
  6. I love the stitching on these pants! Well, I love the pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can feel another pair coming on as the fact that these are denim kind of puts them out of the "good pants for the theatre" category that they were meant to fill.

      Delete
  7. I am in awe. You simply amaze me and leave me speechless. Just awesome - both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! Substitute "amazing" for "mildly amusing and execute your daft ideas quite well" ;)
      Thanks, Lucinda.

      Delete
  8. There is just so much awesome-ness here I don't know where to start! The whole outfit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pants are amazing! The detailing on the pocket with all of the coloured stitching is brilliant--something to catalogue in the sewing queue as a "must try". Your version is much better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks. I will be very surprised if anyone asks me if I made these pants as they do look pretty professional. At least until you see the seam finishes on the inside! :)

      Delete
  10. The details on the pants are great! And that sweater...the tiger is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I like the tiger as it's a bit ridiculous but not so bad that it might not cause someone to look twice and think I really paid a small fortune for a kid's sweater

      Delete
  11. wow. i'm practically speechless. this is so awesome. the embroidery. the tiger. it's all so awesome! you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous outfit!!
    If only boy sewing could be this much fun all the time :)
    I'm in awe with your work on both pieces - simply impressive!!

    ReplyDelete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.