Wednesday 29 April 2015

TRON Legacy: Film Petit Gatecrash #2



Cue the Daft Punk soundtrack...

"this is going to be quite a ride"



I'm gatecrashing my favourite blog series of all time; Film Petit. If you haven't heard of Film Petit, it's the hilarious blog series from Skirt As Top and A Little Gray where they, along with a guest blogger, sew clothes or costumes for their kids based on films.

I haven't (yet) been officially invited to play, but that didn't stop me with my Kill Bill Vol I outfit here. And today, you guessed it, I'm busting into the room again with my kids dressed in their new TRON pyjamas!


This was not just a fun idea, 'cause the kids actually needed, like really needed, new pyjamas. I was busy making lots of fun stuff and ignoring the dire need for pyjamas, when the call for the Twisted Trousers pattern tour came through.

Next thing, I'm taping and tracing a pattern and cutting fabric on the living room floor while Flipper's watching a movie. Suddenly it dawned on me that I had the perfect pattern for some pyjamas that I wanted very much to make! I wanted to make TRON jammies!!

(apologies as the photography goes down hill from here. We've had miserable rainy weather and if I get too carried away with post image manipulation I never get to bed!)


The Twisted Trousers were the obvious choice for the pants. Instead of narrow, corded piping I thought I'd add some wide flat piping. I really wanted glow in the dark fabric, but that's not readily available so I went hunting for something else.

At GJ's I found this "waterfall crush stretch velour". It was perfect as I needed the stretch, the velour-iness made it look like it glowed and the "waterfall crush" bit I presume refers to the uneven surface which reflects the light even more.


There was some vigorous debate about who would be the baddy and who would be the goody. I detest the notion of goodies and baddies and both Flipper and I have been heard to tell the kids that "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" many times. Still, I wasn't going to sew matching outfits, too boring. Both kids definitely wanted to be baddies, but A also liked the blue colour best. Sorted. She is a baddy who's even more bad by virtue of being disguised as a goody. Check out this baddy face:


Being my third and fourth pair of Twisted Trousers the pants came together in no time. Or at least they would have if that waterfall crush stretch velour wasn't as awful to work with as it sounds. It was slippery where I didn't want it to be and grippy when it shouldn't be. What I thought would be quick overlocker sewing turned into hours of pinning and basting first.
 
I omitted the faux fly and waist ties and added cuffs at the bottom. Mostly 'cause I knew they were going to be super long and the cuffs would keep them from falling over their feet!
 
 
Laura had kindly given me a copy the Rowan Tee pattern as well as the Twisted Trousers. The Rowan Tee already has the option of a sleeve and shoulder stripe and cuffs, so all I needed to add was the front stripes. - although I ended up doing piping along the sleeves in the same way as the pants rather than using the pattern's stripe option.

The costumes of the main Tron characters were too detailed for what I was doing, so I went with the style of the Daft Punk costumes


I cut the front pattern piece and then added seam allowances to insert the piping. To keep things smooth and comfy - they are pyjamas after all, I've topstitched the seam allowances down with a narrow double needle stitch.

Apart from printing off the cheat sheet I didn't really consult the Rowan Tee instructions at all. I imagine they're every bit as good as the Twisted Trousers were. The sizing I chose was the same as the trousers (sizes 4 and 6). I should have thought to add sleeve length as P is a veritable monkey with those arms of his.

The black knit is incredibly soft and the kids absolutely ADORE these pyjamas. When you can model your new jammies with a mum sanctioned fight scene then what's not to love, right?


It was pretty wild for a while, then they ran off and fetched some Frisbees to use as Tron discs. Of course, that's what we were missing!

So last night I sewed up a couple of Frisbee covers. Have you ever thought you might stay up late to sew neon velour piped Frisbee covers? Nope, me neither, until last night.


I can't see there being much of a need for a pattern tutorial for a Frisbee cover, but if you're ever in need of some tips then drop me a line. When it comes to Frisbee covers I'm your sewing blogger!


A's come down with a bit of a cold, so she wasn't really up for another fight scene. At least not to the extent that her brother was. You kinda get the feeling he's liking his pyjamas, right?

Anyway, she was definitely up for striking another serious baddy face. Are you ready?.....


Ouch!

As much as I love the neat looking button up pyjamas or frilly nighties, there's a lot to be said for comfy knit tops and pants that the kids can easily get on and off themselves. There'll be more of these sets in the future, for sure.


Although they'll undoubtedly be plain pyjamas next time, as the idea of a nightly battle scene before bed is starting to wear thin...

Still, it's been fun!


Thanks again to Titchy Threads for the patterns.

21 comments:

  1. Coolest pyjamas ever! They look great! And it looks like you had so much fun with the photos. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, we did have fun. I appreciate you stopping for a look and leaving a nice comment!

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. You killed it!!! Totally killed it! Now I'll be listening to Daft Punk all day, thanks for reminding me of that awesome soundtrack. And the photo shoot! GAAAAAH. These are some fantastic PJs for some totally fantastic kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Inder. If the kids were allowed a vote, this would undoubtedly rank in the best mum-made things ever. I only half paid attention to the film but I love Michael Sheen and his high camp character. I kind of wish I'd done a white pair of pyjamas and mock frock coat dressing gown for myself to prance around in!

      Delete
  3. You are too much! Of course the outfits are awesome, but those kids are stealing the whole show! They couldn't be any more adorable and are clearly enamored with their new PJs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole, I really wished I had a big photo studio as trying to keep their "action" contained to my tiny patch of blank wall was impossible.

      Delete
  4. Amazing pyjamas and the photo shoot looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the silliest ideas turn out to be the best! Thanks Sharon.

      Delete
  5. I really need these for my little guy. These are the best kids pjs I've ever seen. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're very kind! :) My kids don't really know the movie at all but they've watched that short fight scene on YouTube and now they think they're hot stuff in their PJs. If you'd get the same reaction then I say go for it!

      Delete
  6. DOIN' IT RIGHT! love these, shelley!! you're amazing. thanks for the gatecrash, too! even if there isn't much of a gate at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin. It's such a fun idea to get sewing inspiration from film. I'm sure it will continue, even if not as it was originally intended. Anyway I have to play by myself a bit more 'cause of my taste in foreign arthouse films that no ones heard of. I've got heaps of those for sewing inspiration!

      Delete
  7. These are amazing Shelley, such a fun idea. You and your kids are hilarious, their poses and faces are as good as the pjs. Good luck with those nightly battles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. The Rowan Tee was perfect as all the "pyjama" elements (cuffs and waistband) were already there. Now I want to make more! Thanks again for having me on the tour.

      Delete
  8. These are fantastic and a great idea. Love the pictures! Looks that you have lots of fun during that night fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it's pretty nuts most evenings anyway! Thanks again.

      Delete
  9. These are AWESOME Shelley. Love that piping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. McStitch you crack me up. Your kids look like they love their jammies and what an awesome mum to make tron jammies. You're one of a kind lady x

    ReplyDelete
  11. my boys would flip out for these! maybe Halloween will be easy this year...
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.