Saturday 5 April 2014

Kid's Clothes Week: Mini Me!

 
Only 1 day to go until the official start of Kid's Clothes Week and with a theme of "mini me" how could I not join in?!
 

I'm usually loathe to use any fabrics that I've used for myself for either of the kids lest we accidentally dress alike one day, but I did have just enough of my brown on brown jersey to make this Hopscotch dress, and get myself in the mood for the upcoming Kid's Clothes Week Challenge.

kid's clothes week

I don't think I'll be quite so literal when I start the week of sewing (at least one hour per day for seven days straight) but believe me, there will be more brown. I've taken the Mini Me theme to mean that I get to choose the fabrics and I get to choose the patterns. Should my little version of me prove to be equally as determined as her mother there may not actually be any modelled photos for the whole week. We'll see.....


Meanwhile, we're both loving our brown dresses, just not on the same day. This is the Hopscotch dress in a straight size 3, possibly with an inch extra hem length, I forget. What I should have remembered to do was add a bit of length to the neckband. It's much easier to get the yoke to sit nicely if the neckband is about an inch longer and can overhang half an inch at each end, then be trimmed once the yoke is sewn to the dress.

Finally, I got around to making some leggings. I broke open my as yet unused Playtime pattern and sewed up a pair of leggings with 18-24m width and 3T length. Perfect fit!


Now, I love this colour combination, and if, like me, you remember the good old days when there was alcohol advertising at the cinemas then you can sing along with me:....


 
My plans for Kids Clothes Week may be far too ambitious (but isn't that the point!) as I've cut out:
  • 4 more pairs Playtime leggings
  • a Japanese pattern knit dress (pattern stash busting)
  • a Japanese wool cardigan/shrug  (pattern stash busting)
  • a Playtime dress (pattern stash busting)
  • an Apple Picking Dress (pattern stash busting)
  • a Flashback Skinny T
  • and a Field trip Raglan Dress
Forgive me if nothing happens on the blog for a few days, but I promise there'll be some things worth coming back to look at once I resurface. Are you joining in?



26 comments:

  1. The dress is great, and the dark colour looks lovely on your daughter. I have just one question: what have you done with Tassie?!

    That is quite an impressive list of items you've cut out. I'm time-shifting and starting to put something together tonight, because I have R's 6th birthday party here at our house next weekend and I have loads of preparations to do - so, not much sewing time this week. I look forward to admiring your creations in lieu of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem I've become so blasé about fabric cutting that Tassie is now upside-down, in the northern hemisphere and looking more like Greenland!
      I forgot that there's an Oliver + S Sailboat dress in the pile too. Who knows if I'll see much finished....

      Delete
  2. Okay, I LOVE that you've interpreted the theme to mean you get to choose everything: sounds just like my version of the Mini Me theme :) However, it means that I've already been denied my request to try on an outfit.... Love the brown for a little girl's dress though--very sophisticated and modern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there'll be enough pink to keep her happy. But it would kill me if I had to sew purple for an hour every day. Aaaargh

      Delete
  3. Wow, such ambitious plans! Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi. I've put it out there so I'll have to at least try, right?!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is some list! I look forward to seeing your progress. The outift is great, too - I could never get my girls to wear those colors but I wish I could. I didn't realize this KCW has a theme, but as it turns out I'm planning to use scraps from some of my own clothes to make things for the girls so that works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the brown idea would have floated except for the fact that I had a dress that I said I liked. Ergo she must like hers too. Funny little things kids, huh.

      Delete
  5. I adore this dress.
    Hand-me-downs please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there news I don't know about?! ;)
      Surely Tilly isn't that small, is she?
      It's a very flattering request and I will keep your little one(s?) in mind!

      Delete
    2. Tildy is a size 2T.
      I breed 'em tiny.

      Delete
  6. I am in awe of your to-sew list for KCW. Now that I'm back at work, my very ambitious plan is to START (not necessarily finish) one thing next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a lot of late nights as I can only sew after dark (not some weird pathology on my part just no other "me time" available!)

      Delete
  7. I love this, it looks great on her. My plans for KCW are nowhere near as ambitious, I hope to just get started on something. Life is conspiring to keep me away from my sewing machine at the moment. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love those Hosh pants you made and glad to see you found your way back to the machine!

      Delete
  8. Too cute McStitch! Love the colour combo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I actually get disgruntled when a project for me leaves too big of a piece of fabric- I know I'm going to end up making a kids thing and then playing don't match the child ;) I do love the outfit you made your little. I'm not sure if I'll be sewing along but I'm excited to see your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel! I need to have a few giveaways of fabric that's too much for the scraps pile but too matchy for kid's clothing

      Delete
  10. my daughter LOVES it when we match in some way, so i hope yours does too and embraces the brown. it really does look great on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Kristin. I think she was thrilled to have some "mummy" fabric. I'll have to try selling things that way again. She doesn't always buy my ideas so readily!

      Delete
  11. Great outfit! I'd kind of forgotten about the whole mini-me theme this season. Oops! Well, if nothing else KCW got me motivated to cut out a huge stack of things. Now to the actual sewing part. Look forward to seeing you finished projects! And thanks for the hint about the hopscotch neckband. I'm off now to recut it with the extra length....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think pattern drafting and cutting count towards your daily "sewing" target. I just went a bit mental last week!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful outfit! She looks so adorable. You have quite a list. I am really looking forward to seeing what you make. I've only made one but the apple picking dress is one of my favorites so I can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I've always been a bit lukewarm on the Apple Picking dress but I figure my daughter will love the ruffle-y bits and I'm ticking off the Oliver + S patterns. I know I'll love sewing it, I always do with those patterns.

      Delete
  13. Love this outfit, Shelley! Looking forward to seeing your KCW sewing.:)

    ReplyDelete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.