Sunday 13 April 2014

KCW Spring (Autumn!) 2014: Day 7

Here we are at the end of the week and I'm delighted to say I managed some daylight sewing today (for only the second time this week) and finished off my last project....
 
...which is brought to us courtesy of my stalker! Somehow she has found out where I live (oh that's right I gave her my address to post the Japanese pattern book to) and has studied me enough to know what kind of fabric I'd take home from a Clear It store. So, being the lovely stalker that she is, she posted me a package of fabric!
 
And I made an Apple Picking Dress, a Flashback Skinny T and another, final pair of Playtime leggings.

 
The dress fabric is a thin, synthetic woven with a tiny self rib almost like rip-stop nylon. I've no idea what it is, but even a brand new, sharp needle had to punch through to make a hole. It was also insanely resistant to pins which is less surprising as my pins are all appallingly old, bent and abused. While it appears to be a flimsy, pretty dress I am happy in the knowledge that my daughter will be very well protected by any attacks from rampaging porcupines!
 
Because it was thin (albeit tough) fabric I decided on full undergarments using the mystery brown knit fabric that was also in the package.
 
 
The knit is quite thin compared to my cotton lycra, has a slightly shiny underside, but is wonderfully soft, super stretchy and deliciously brown. Thanks J Wo for both fabrics, I love them!
 
That was the end to today's photo shoot, as the native grass she's holding is known, at our house, as tickle grass and there was a big brother to chase after and tickle.
 
tickle grass securely attached to handlebars and off she goes!
And the end of my Kid's Clothes Week. I'll take a few on-the-hanger pictures and do a round up post in a day or two. We played "favourites" this evening at the dinner table. A declared her favourite was the brown leaf dress, P's favourite was the Playtime dress "cause it was so funny that she couldn't find the pockets for ages and ages", Flipper looked blankly and said nothing, and I think this one might be my favourite.
 
So now that my favourite little girl is well dressed I'll have to do something about my favourite little boy. But not for a week or two perhaps!
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Did you get any sleep this week?!?!

    I had no idea that fabric would be so awkward but it did have your name all over it when I saw it. At least you know that the dress is indestructible and will probably survive a nuclear attack/ice age etc! The fabric is probably an Alannah Hill piece so now A is wearing double designer clothes (A hill and Oliver +S).

    I bought some of that brown fabric for me too so I think I'll be making leggings with it also.

    I can't believe how much you did this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again so much for the fabric I really do love it!
      Funny story about Alannah Hill, I once had a stare off with her over an unreserved table at a very popular, hip, pizza restaurant. I recall her being somewhat prickly then so I'm not surprised about the fabric!!

      Delete
  2. I love it!!! Porcupine attack - SNORT. I really want to make this dress - it's on my list of o+s patterns I own but haven't sewn. I love how it looks for a little autumn dress. Also, three more garments? You are on FIRE, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was somewhat ho hum about the pattern but now that I've sewn it I adore it. Go for it, you'll be delighted with the result.

      Delete
  3. So sweet and I love the tickle grass! That's the best! You've done a great job with the fit on these leggings, too. On some of the pictures I've seen, they were pretty baggy, but these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall when you were doing your leggings comparison you sized down the Oliver + S width too and I recall thinking that's nuts to make them so narrow but when the measurements said small and long I thought "Rachel did it, it must surely work" Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Wow- what a fantastic week of clothes! I'm so impressed with all your great creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I wasn't sure I could do it all but I'm so happy (and tired) at the end of the week!

      Delete
  5. This one is my favorite! I love the skirt and the tie at the neck, so sophisticated for a little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi, me too I think. the slinky fabric really works. It could be a bit naff in a quilting cotton but I can live with the ruffle-y skirt when the fabric is a bit more grown-up.

      Delete
  6. I love the dress! That is one of my favorite patterns. She looks adorable on her bike. The leggings and top are great too. I am getting caught up posts from this week and look forward to seeing more that you have sewn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. She's a great little run-biker, but that big brother on his pedal bike is just too quick!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I do love the apple-picking dress (your version is so cute!)!
    I'm pretty sure my girl wouldn't mind testing hers in a bike race :) Always loved a girl who knows how to cycle with style :)
    Btw, it looks perfect with those full undergarments (love them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessedly this dress is short enough that the stylish cycliste doesn't need to tuck her skirt into her knickers to keep it out of the back wheel!
      Thanks for the lovely comment, I'm dreaming up a Hide and Seek dress now after seeing yours....

      Delete

I get a real kick out of knowing you've visited the blog and love to read comments. Thanks.